Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Day 26- 21st May Into the naughty forties!






Day 26 – 21st May

Ok I’m really 40 now !!! Had another beautifully hot sunny day – temperature up in the 30’s, thank goodness for the pool!

Have spent parts of the day jumping out of the car, climbing in between grapevines and hedges, pinning that plate size Ïm 40”badge in numerous places!!!
You girls at work should be proud, I have brought it to the other side of the world and will now be able to use it as a placemat if I need one in the future!

Also had my first go at driving on the other side of the road – it was pretty easy actually, only problem is I keep going to the left hand side to try and find the gear stick as we have a manual!!

We spent some time on the internet today, it is free here and easy with a laptop as you just have to go to certain places to get the Wi-Fi access. This is a plus they don’t advertise they have!

Went to Buccine and bought supplies from the coop, it is a small supermarket by our standards and we note – as in France, there is little junk food here in the shops. This would explain why they aren’t big people as a rule.

We bought some bread and tomatoes, they are so big and red and the flavour is something else again- nothing like our pale tasteless tomatoes from the supermarket.

Spent a few hours around the pool which was great – it is very quiet here today. Then Graeme is cooking me a birthday dinner that smells heavenly, ooh the garlic!! We are just having a quiet night as a family which I am happy to do. We will go to a restaurant another night. There is one at the hamlet, but it is a set 4 course meal and more fine dining, very posh and $70 pp!

We are now sitting outside having a few drinks and appreciating what we are doing while Danni and some American girls play on the lawn outside the apartment. Doesn’t get much better, although having family here today would have been good too but that is a bit of a big ask I think!! Missed Sam today as she is always with us on birthdays even though she has moved out of home, but know she is happy in her new house with Alex and his brother and partner.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Happy Birthday. I ahve been reading almost daily but never have anything to say as your news is so fabulous but our is so boring adn mundane. Its Aarons birthdya today (22nd) so funny you guys are a day apart...

Your driving story made me laugh as it sounds like the Aamzing Race that tv programme where they go all over the world... usually the couples (American) are screaming at each other so I think you guys have done extremely well!!! I remember sdriving in the States on the wrong side of the road I was fine until I had to make a right had turn at a major intersection then it would ge tocnfusing as you wanted to go to the far side (naturally) but hmmmm tooting horns soon set you right.

Well ahve fun in your villa sounds absolutley fabbo and just what you need on this leg of the journey.

PS No further action at the building site. Looks like ground still not stable enough or something. New people right in front of us have been planting up a storm though. They have enclosed the whole perimeter of their property with Camelias so thats going to look great when they grow a bit bigger. They plan on starting to build in July. Thats the goss down the street!!!

Ciao Cath

Anonymous said...

PS where is the spell checker on this thing.... reading back through mine is atrocious!!! My hands type faster than my brain and muddles it all up!! Hehehehehehe

Sharon said...

Happy birthday sounds agreat way to celebrate.40's not too bad 50's better!!I had to laugh (sorry)re your initial driving experiences I can totally relate to it.I am an anxious passenger at the best of times (comes from all the driving back and forwards from Morrinsville and being in control)

deliverygirlnz said...

Hey Cath, no spell check I think. I have notices occasional errors in mine too but I was so tired I didnt notice till too late!

Good to know Aaron is of good May stock as well- (thought he was rather intelligent!!!) must the time of year he was born??!!

Glad the newest of neighbours is planting their land up - wondered if having more houses in thelane would depreciate all our values or not???? Not sure. The other family seem to have had heaps of trouble getting their building going, might put them off as they were hoping to have their concrete pad down by Dec??!!

You are right about driving on the wrong side of the road and having to turn- you always want to go onto the wrong side of the road- Gray has only done that one so far. I just sit there going, keep right, keep right! ALso where to turn into is hard as we want to naturally turn left into the wrong bay!

Sharon- glad you can sympathise - I am over the shock now and Siena today was easy in comparison to that first day!!
I will forever think that NZ is such an easy place to drive in for the side of the road AND the great sign posting & wide roads!!!