Thursday, May 10, 2007

Day 12 - 7th May. Paris->Beaune->Lyon





Day 12 - 7th May


Flew out of bed with the phone ringing in my ear at 6.30am!! Grabbed it and kept trying to answer the woman, only to finally realize that it was a recorded French woman! Duh, well I had been awake late as couldn’t quite drop off as I kept thinking the TD was waiting for me!

I managed to shower, do make-up and hair in 15 or so mins!! I was so impressed with me! Down to breakfast then everyone was on time to the bus at 8am. We headed out of Paris, while Karen explained that 30,000 people celebrated with the new male French president (Nicolas Sarkozy) outside here somewhere, while there was some rioting by the other sides hooligans and cars burnt! Glad she got us in early last night.

The general plan for the next few days is travel 2 hours, have a pitstop, then -another 1 ½ - 2 ours then stop for lunch. Back on the bus after 1 ½ hours then travel for another 2 X 2 hours- phew!!

Today we got to Beaune for lunch, a wander around the town and then met Carine again for a church visit which was very impressive in its size and stained glass windows and then down into a wine cellar for tasting – from which Gray really benefited with me not able to drink it!


Got to Lyon about 5pm, weather grey and overcast. The hotel is a long way out of town which means if you don’t do the dinner optional at $124 each! then you are stuck. Would have appreciated being pointed in the right direction by the TD for a supermarket or restaurant, but she just pretty much ignored Graeme when he asked her, so unfortunately you are on your own to find things I guess?
We went out for a long walk and found there are lots of rather seedy tenament blocks with lots of Moroccans living here. Carine said later that they are the ones the police have trouble with in Europe. However they left us alone and we got back to the hotel fine.

Had dinner in the restaurant next door- my French is surprisingly good and I’ve been amazed at how I can read the signs/menu’s and speak the basics when the French don’t speak English!

No comments: